The tightening of restrictions to Alert Level 3 means things are far from normal, and that we all have a part to play to minimise our COVID-19 exposure.
When you’re on the go, remember to:
- Wear a mask
- Keep a safe distance of about 1.5 metres from others
- Carry a sanitiser / wash your hands frequently with water and soap
- Avoid close contact with anyone who is sick or has symptoms
- Have small gatherings outdoors or in well ventilated areas
Take the following precautions;
- If you are feeling unwell, please stay at home and quarantine. If worrisome symptoms present, please seek medical advice.
- Avoid taking public transportation if you’re sick.
- And if you’re at higher risk of serious illness, don’t head out into the community just yet. It’s safer to stay home.
How to minimise the risk of COVID-19 infection when you go shopping;
- Plan your shopping needs so that you can reduce the need to go more regularly
- practice physical distancing of 1,5 metres between yourself and others (e.g. keep the shopping trolley between you and the next person)
- Carry hand sanitiser whenever possible (or make good use of it if provided in stores)
- Wear a mask at all times, keeping hands away from your face.
- Try not to touch many items. If you touch it, consider buying it.
- Remember to wash your hands when you get home.
How to minimise the risk of COVID-19 as you go to a restaurant;
Remember to stay home if you have COVID-19 symptoms or suspect you might have been in contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19:
- Before eating, wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds
- Avoid using or sharing items that are reusable, such as menus, condiments, and any other food containers. Instead, use disposable or digital menus, single serving condiments
- If you need to make use of the bathroom, push the door open by using your body and avoid using the hand-dryer. Rather wipe your hands with a paper towel or toilet paper
- Maintain distance of 1,5 metres from other people, unless they are people from the same household
- Use touchless payment options as much as possible, if available.
- While eating, your mask will be off. Avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes
- Sit outside if you can, open spaces with moving air significantly decrease your risk of contracting the virus via airborne droplets
How to minimise the risk of COVID-19 at social gatherings;
- Wash your hands with soap and water as soon as you arrive
- Maintain a social distance of more than 1,5m at all times
- Gather outdoors or in well-ventilated areas. Before your family arrives, set up the tables and chairs far apart
- Wear your face mask at all times, except when eating
- Avoid kissing, hugging and touching each other
- Limiting the number of individuals to less than 10 people
- Avoid putting out toys that the kids will have to touch and share. (eg. TV game)
- Avoid serving buffet-style where people will be required to serve using the same utensils.
- Have disposable cups and write each person’s name on them to avoid sharing cups or accidently drinking from someone else’s cup
- If someone in your household is high-risk (over the age of 65, lung disease, asthma, diabetes, heart or kidney disease) avoid hosting a family gathering at your home
To find out more about managing mild COVID-19 disease at home, click here.