The objectives of the NICD are:
- To detect communicable disease outbreaks and epidemics through surveillance and research.
- To effectively respond and anticipate imminent communicable disease outbreaks and epidemics.
- To engage in directed and relevant research in order to answer questions related to national and regional public health communicable diseases problems, their surveillance and management.
- To provide a reference function for communicable diseases laboratories in the public and private sectors, nationally, regionally and internationally.
- To build and strengthen capacity for communicable diseases response, nationally and regionally.